Earth Day 2018 is just around the corner — April 22 — and Show•Me Adventure Kids thinks that’s something to celebrate because our planet is precious. Or at least it should be to all of us.
Think about it: If you had just one pair of shoes or jeans, you’d take care of these, right? You’d keep them clean and free from rips and holes. You’d likely put your shoes in a box and hang up your jeans in a closet until the next time you wear them.
Earth Day each year is a reminder to us that we have just one planet and it’s everybody’s job to treat it as such, with honor, respect, and care. This is a theme in the first Show•Me Adventure Kids book, Making Friends at the Zoo. We believe it’s never too soon to teach your children about caring for the environment.
There are some Earth Events in Missouri to share with you; take your family, expose your children to environmental stewardship practices, and make a pledge as a family to do your best for our Earth. Start with recycling and using less, then move on to environmental-friendly household items, composting, and so forth.
• The St. Louis Earth Day Festival is a two-day event (April 21-22) at beautiful Forest Park. See how-do demonstrations, enjoy vendors, music, and more.
• The Missouri Department of Natural Resources will hold its Earth Day event on April on 27 in Jefferson City. Visit their website for details, as well as tips and challenges, such as the Zero Waste Challenge, to do as a family. Think about how small things can lead to big results, like learning to pack a school lunch with no waste.
• The Saint Louis Zoo will celebrate Earth Day on April 22; swing by after visiting the St. Louis Earth Day Festival and make a day of fun in Forest Park.
• Renew Missouri will do its annual 5K Earth Day run in Columbia. For more than 40 years, Columbia has held an Earth Day Festival; get details here about this year’s event on April 22.
• Science City at Union Station in Kansas City will have programs on April 21 for Earth Day.
• Springfield has a family-friendly Earth Day event on April 28 with plenty of fun activities and practical tips.
These are just a few of the many events happening around the state. To see what might be near your community, search "EARTH DAY (insert your community name)" in your web browser and see what pops up.
Show•Me Adventure Kids would like to celebrate families who take the pledge to recycle. Leave a comment below or visit our Facebook page @ShowMeAdventureKids and leave a comment on our Earth Day post explaining how your family practices good recycling habits, and you could win a $20 gift card from Subway!
The Show•Me Blog
Visit here for family trip ideas and other activities the Show•Me Kids want to share.